Sunday, June 29, 2008

EURO 2008 Final


OK2.. So the finals was not between the Dutch and Deutschland as I had predicted. Going into the game, I wanted Germany to win the EURO as they had been the one I supported for this version of the tournament. (it changes from every international tourney to another LOL :D) They had been playing some good football to get to the final stage, and they even managed to beat Portugal on the way (more reason to cheer them on :D). So...

Finals: Germany vs Spain

Hmm.. It's not that entertaining of a football match. Germany played very very very very poorly. Their defence line were exhausted by the fact that every Spain attack tortured every inch of their fitness. They barely make any chances. Germany had like only 1 shot on goal, not even exaggerating on how poor their attacking on the night was. OK so I checked.. They had 3 shots on target. And I know looking at that certain statistic might mean nothing to someone, but it shows how Germany couldn't give a single reply to Spain's exceptional football. Spain played terrificly in the game. I was quite surprised. I predicted that they would falter for having to much strong individuals on the team that lacked team work. As much as I hate to admit it, I was wrong. They attacked brilliantly when having possessions without wasting them inappropriately, and they defended with all their might to stop the Germans from scoring. The only thing that they could have done better, was in the finishing department. They had 14 shots in total, 8 on targets, but only managing a single goal. It was a poor representment of the Spanish's free flowing attacking football.

They gelled very well as a team, and through the brilliance of Xavi Hernandez and a certain Fernando "El Nino" Torres, they manage to edge Germany by that single, crucial goal - the winning goal. Xavi played an early pass through the middle in between 2 German defenders, and El Nino - showing that he doesn't lack any strength for a rather skinny striker - managed to outmuscle Phillip Lahm and cleverly chipped pass the incoming keeper called Jens Clumsimann (or was it Jens Blundermann? or Jens Cumbersomemann? I kinda forgot O_O) YOU HAD TO GET OUT OF YOUR LINE DIDN'T YOU?! YOU JUST HAD TO! I mean, he would've done Germany a lot more favour by staying put in goal. Even though Lahm was outmuscled, Torres and the ball just barely entered the near-post penalty area, with little angle on goal. Lahm would've managed to retain ground on and hold off Torres for a couple more seconds for another defender to come help. BUT NO! YOU JUST HAD TO DO THAT! ASFJFSGHFHFKSHKDHAJKDHKADHKHSD~~!!!!!! :(((((((( Well, that was the most telling point of the game. Nothing else is worth mentioning.

MAN OF THE MATCH: Jens
Clodhoppermann. Retiring was a wise decision... :(




Iker Casillas lifts the trophy for Spain and became the first captain-goalkeeper to do so in a EURO finals. And Spain break their hoodoo of underachievers. It's their first major tournament win since 1964 (in which they won the same tournament on home soil). Spain also became the first team in 24 years to go unbeaten in their group stage and win EURO at the same time (France last did it on 1984). Some records...

So, I never predicted who would win this match since I was lazy to do so. I just wanted Germany to win, but in the end they didn't. GG WP to Spain for playing a great football on the night, and also throughout the tournament. This Spain team holds high hopes from now on as they have many young players that could conjure more magic in future tournaments. They seem to have mature as a team since disappointing me during the last World Cup :(.

Congratulations EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS SPAIN! :D


gg wp

/end

No comments: